Friday, June 10, 2011

Organic Spring Shibi Oolong Cha (2011)

Finally! The time has come for spring tea!

After many days thirsting for good high mountain tea, my shipment of spring tea arrived (ok, I suppose I am being a bit dramatic, but I ran out of my favorite tea!). I received a large amount of tea, packaging, and other little samples. Thanks Louise! My supplier was very generous and gave me a sample of some fancy tea packaging as well! The first few people that order from me will get pretty packaging. Makes a great graduation or birthday gift.

This time I ordered some non-organic tea from her. In order for her to stay in business she has to make some non-organic tea (because the cost for organic is far greater, and is more labor intensive). Still very high quality tea. I will present some notes from my taste comparison in another posting.

Here are some pictures (courtesy of Stefanie Myr;Click here for her flickr) from my first cupping.

Upon opening the bag I noticed scents of apricot and pear. It smelled a bit roasted (although it is a greener oolong). I also thought it resembled the smell of fresh cut flowers.

Opening first bag!





The dry leaf
 



Waiting..
 
Yum!
























The aroma from the steeped leaves brought me back to the misty mountains of Taiwan; I would sit out on the porch drinking tea watching the clouds roll over the mountains in the morning.

My tasting palette suggested hints of citrus, apricot, and floral notes (similar to the smell). This tea is delicious cold steeped (how I am drinking it this morning) and I would suggest a 4 hour steep rather than overnight.

If you are interested in the non-organic tea I am selling it for $10 an ounce. The organic tea is being sold for $12 per ounce (or you can buy them in 150g vacuumed sealed packages). If you e-mail me your order and mention my blog I will give you free shipping (within the US, or $5 off your shipping outside the US).

Happy Friday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment